Silverlight 5 version is here: XLStylesTool on Windows Azure.
The usage of the browser based Silverlight 4 version of the XLStylesTool has been rapidly increasing since its launch exactly one year ago. Much to my surprise the free hosting server got shutdown without a warning some time yesterday. A bunch of people contacted me. Amazing to see how many people work on corrupted MS Excel files even on the weekends. I had to do something about it fast, so I upgraded the app to Silverlight 5 and moved it to Windows Azure where I currently have free subscription. The app will stay there until things change. All hosting suggestions are welcome. I want to continue offering XLStylesTool for free.
Quick feature overview:
- Native 64 bit support: Silverlight 5 comes with 64 bit runtime
- Speed: my initial tests show that Silverlight 5 version is faster in reading and processing files
- Runtime upgrade/installation: if you don’t have Silverlight 5 installed yet you will be prompted to download it. Bad news: Microsoft publically announced that they won’t be enhancing Silvelright anymore. Good news: current version of Silverlight has amazing features and will be supported until October 2021!
- Mac OS users can use this version just like SL4. System requirements:
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later
- Firefox 3 or later, Safari 4 or later, or other modern browser
- Windows Azure pretty much guarantees 100% service uptime
- Creating new Windows Azure account, service and application plus performing Silverlight 5 upgrade took roughly 4 hours
Please report any issues and provide feedback.